Head Over Heels
Songs by The Go-Go’s
Based on The Arcadia by Sir Philip Sidney
Conceived and Original Book by Jeff Whitty
Adapted by James Magruder
May 26 – June 18, 2022 Main Stage | Wednesday – Saturday | Rated: R
The Grand Theatre announces auditions for Head Over Heels, directed by Jamie Rocha Allan.
The auditions will be held on Saturday, February 19, 2022 from 10:00AM-4:00PM.
Head Over Heels is the bold new musical comedy from the visionaries that rocked Broadway with Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Avenue Q and Spring Awakening. This laugh-out-loud love story is set to the music of the iconic 1980’s all-female rock band The Go-Go’s, including the hit songs, “We Got the Beat,” “Our Lips Are Sealed,” “Vacation,” Belinda Carlisle’s “Heaven is a Place on Earth” and “Mad About You.” A hilarious, exuberant celebration of love, Head Over Heels follows the escapades of a royal family on an outrageous journey to save their beloved kingdom from extinction—only to discover the key to their realm’s survival lies within each of their own hearts.
Auditions will be held on Saturday, February 19, 2022 from 10:00AM to 4:00PM.
- Vocal Auditions 10:00AM-2:00PM
- Dance Auditions 2:00PM-4:00PM
Please sign up for both auditions here.
Please prepare 32 bars of a song in the style of the show, an accompanist will be provided. Headshots, sheet music, and resumes are required. Prior to your audition, please download, complete, and print the audition form to bring with you to your audition.
Auditions will be held in the Facilities and Arts Annex (far South-East corner of the parking lot) of Salt Lake Community College’s South City Campus, 1610 South 250 East, Salt Lake City, 84115. Parking is available at no charge in the South-East parking lot off of 1700 South.
Head Over Heels will be directed by Jamie Rocha Allan.
- Callbacks will be from 6:00PM-10:00PM on Monday, February 21, 2022 by invitation.
- The show will run Wednesdays – Saturdays, May 26 – June 18, 2022 at 7:30PM with Saturday matinee performances at 2:00PM.
- Rehearsals will begin on Saturday, April 16th, 2022 and will be held (apart from tech week) Monday – Friday from 6pm to 10pm and Saturdays from 10am to 4pm.
All hired actors are paid via a stipend.
The Grand Theatre is committed to diverse, inclusive casting. We welcome all qualified performers, without regard to disability, race, color, gender, national origin or any other basis, unless otherwise specifically indicated.
List of Characters
- BASILIUS: King of Arcadia. A sexy, good ol’ boy. A hothead, but not a despot. Blindly thinks Arcadia is doing great under his masculine rule, which will be sorely tested during the course of the show.
- GYNECIA: Queen of Arcadia. Sexy, wise, beautiful. Like any long standing spouse, knows how to get her way with her husband when push comes to shove.
- PAMELA: Basilius and Gynecia’s older daughter. Confident and obsessed with her appearance. Known to be the most beautiful bachelorette throughout Arcadia. Unbeknownst to her, she is in love with her handmaiden Mopsa.
- PHILOCLEA: Basilius and Gynecia’s younger daughter. Shy and a “good girl”, she yearns to follow her heart rather than obey her father’s orders. In love with her childhood friend, the young shepherd Musidorus.
- DAMETAS: The King’s viceroy; father to Mopsa. Good comedic timing needed.
- MOPSA: Handmaiden to Pamela. Warm, skeptical. Growing up without a mother has made her wise beyond her years about everyone and everything, which is why she is the (sometime) narrator to the show. Secretly in love with her mistress, Pamela
- MUSIDORUS: A young shepherd who was childhood friends with Philoclea. Over the years their friendship has turned into love. Good comedic timing needed.
- PYTHIO: The Oracle; powerful, mysterious. Demanding. Great sense of humor–can see through everyone–they are the Oracle of Delphi, after all. This role was originated by Peppermint in the Broadway production of 2018. This made Peppermint the first out Trans Woman to originate a role on Broadway. In honor of this we are seeking Drag and Queer performers for this role.
- ENSEMBLE: Unique, charismatic individuals to inhabit the kingdom of Arcadia.
Get the App
Download our Grand Theatre app to be the first to hear about audition postings and get first access to audition sign ups. Available on iOS and Android.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How long is the rehearsal process?
Typically, rehearsals last about six weeks prior to opening. Due to the complexity of everyone’s schedules, rehearsals are reserved for evenings Monday through Fridays and Saturdays, during the day. Generally rehearsals are scheduled from 6:00-10:00PM weeknights, and 9:00AM-4:00PM on Saturdays.
Do I get paid?
Yes, we do offer stipends to all adult actors employed during a production. Children, under legal working age, do not receive monetary compensation, but usually receive discounted tickets for family members.
Do you hire Equity?
No, not generally. We are not an Equity Theatre, although, occasionally there is an Equity contract offered under special circumstances. However, Equity actors are always encouraged to audition, as you never know what will be offered.