It Starts with You Speaker Series
Community conversations to educate and unite.
Presented by KUER and United Way of Salt Lake
5:30 – 7:00 PM Reception & Meet and Greet with Kelly McEvers, hosted by Bank of America Merrill Lynch
- Tickets | Individual $50
- Appetizers and beverages provided
7:00 – 8:30 PM Community Conversation with Kelly McEvers and local community members
- Free to the public with RSVP
KUER and United Way of Salt Lake have partnered together for a three-part speaker series, featuring NPR national reporters and local community members to examine and understand the complex issues that divide us as a country and as a community – racism, bigotry, poverty and more. These deep-dive community conversations are dedicated to creating better understanding and identify the many ways each of us — as individuals and from whatever roles we hold in our professional and personal lives — can stand up every day for the values of respect, equality, dignity and inclusion.
- Featuring NPR’s Kelly McEvers, host of Embedded Podcast, co-host of All Things Considered
- Kelly McEvers’s podcast, Embedded, takes a story from the news and goes deep. What are the “embedded” issues facing individuals, students, parents, and families across the country and here in Salt Lake? Local leaders and community members will join Kelly for a conversation on building a more cohesive community.
- Kelly McEvers is co-host of All Things Considered, NPR's award-winning afternoon news magazine. Formerly, McEvers ran NPR's Beirut bureau, where she earned numerous awards for her 2012 coverage of the Syrian conflict. From 2008-2011, she has traveled undercover for her reporting on Arab uprisings, US troops in Iraq and the Free Syrian Army. Her latest project, Embedded, draws on Kelly's talents and NPR's tradition of long-form, sound-rich journalism.
Check back soon for additional information regarding the other two upcoming Speaker Series events: http://speakerseries.uw.org/